The Oval ice season begins in mid-December and ends in mid-March, although this is weather-dependent, and also this year, as everything else, COVID-19-dependent.
Registration for the winter ice program is opening early this year because of the huge interest in Speedy Kids programs we experienced this summer and fall, despite the pandemic.
Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The initial registration period will remain open until November 15th unless we reach full capacity before then.
There are important changes to the winter ice program this year because of public health regulations due to COVID-19:
- Practices are no longer on a drop-in basis:
- Families need to commit to attend practices on certain days and times.
- Participants will be assigned to practice groups that remain constant over the duration of the program.
- Skaters ages 4 & older (as of 31 Dec) can attend 1 time per week, skaters ages 7 & older (as of 31 Dec) can attend 2 times per week (Tues/Fri or Wed/Sat), and skaters in the Ages 10+ Training Group can attend 3+ times per week.
- Parents who want to skate are welcome to attend 1 time per week (join as “Associate Skater”), but priority for equipment and coaching will go to children and youth.
- Our goal is to be able to continue to loan out all necessary equipment at each practice, as this helps to keep speed skating affordable for all families, and that is what Speedy Kids is all about. Because of the increased number of participants and COVID-19 restrictions on sharing equipment, we have started an Equipment Campaign to buy additional speed skates, helmets, and protective gear. Please donate on IceReg, by PayPal, or by e-transfer or other arrangements. Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated.
Registration is online. Set up an account before registering for a program: families with more than one participant can set up a family account and register everyone from that account. You will be asked to indicate which days and times you are available for practices: be sure to indicate ALL days and times you are available, as this will help us to accommodate you. This year’s club registration fees for children and youth are $65 for 3+x, $50 for 2x, and $35 for 1x per week. Additional registration fees must be paid to Speed Skate Nova Scotia and Speed Skating Canada. Payment is by credit card. Be sure to complete all 4 waivers/agreements (1 long one from SSC and 3 short ones from Speedy Kids).
If you have any questions or difficulties with online registration, please email email@example.com.
The Speedy Kids Oval Program Society is committed to ensuring that speed skating is affordable and accessible for all HRM families by offering low cost programs and providing all necessary equipment.
Additional support is available from…
- KidSport (up to $300 per year for registration and/or equipment)
- Jumpstart (up to $300 per year for registration, equipment, and/or transportation)
If your family circumstances allow, please consider making a donation in support of The Speedy Kids Oval Program Society!